Police Officers' Association of Nebraska
A contributing member of the Law Enforcement Community since 1953.
The following is a brief summary of what is in LB 426 which the Legislature is considering for a revision in retirement benefits for police officers of 1 st Class Cities. See the actual bill, as drafted, under the States Legislature website: http://nebraskalegislature.gov/
1. Cities of the second class and villages are not covered by this offer;
2. Counties are not covered by this offer from the League;
3. On October 1, 2009 : The city would increase the city contribution up to 8%, subject to an equal employee match;
4. On October 1, 2012 : The city would increase the city contribution up to 9%, subject to an equal employee match;
5. Vesting reduced to five years;
6. The legislation to include provision for portability of pension contributions from one first class city to another;
7. City payments for increases in contributions beyond October 1, 2009 shall be outside of lid/levy restrictions;
8. The League opposes legislation that would allow individual cities from negotiating any pension benefits beyond those provided herein thus helping ensure comparability and portability;
9. Peace officers may continue to participate in deferred compensation programs as may be available in their respective cities;
10. Disability and survivor benefits remain unchanged by this offer;
11. No further enhancements to pension legislation for peace officers until 2016.