POLICE OFFICERS' ASSOCIATION OF NEBRASKA
BOARD OF DIRECTORS MEETING
YOUNNES CONVENTION CENTER
OCTOBER 5, 2014
MEMBERS PRESENT: Brian Jackson, Rich Hoaglund, Mark Hogue, Ryan Dummer, John Headid, Andy Backman, Shane Wimer, Jim Peschong, Ike Brown, Bruce Felty and Bill Larsen.
MEMBERS ABSENT: Steve Scott.
President Jackson called the meeting to order at 1705 hours.
MINUTES: Minutes from the July 15, 2014 meeting were presented. Ike Brown made a motion to approve the minutes. Mark Hogue provided a second. Motion was approved by voice vote.
TREASURER'S REPORT: Report was presented. Jim Peschong made a motion to accept the report. Andy Backman provided a second. Motion was approved by voice vote.
- Legislative: Rich Hoaglund, only thing mentioned were some items regarding fingerprinting and criminal history database. There are many unknowns for the upcoming Legislative session with new Governor and Attorney General taking office in January.
- Membership: Shane Wimer indicated nothing new to report.
- Election: Mark Hogue indicated the following positions were up for election:
- Two three year Board positions: Jim Peschong and Shane Wimer's positions.
- Second Vice-President
- Training: Brian Jackson mentioned some possible topics.
- POAN Awards: Mark Hogue indicated the following winners:
- Officer of the Year: Officer David Nelson, Lincoln Police Department.
- Hall of Fame: Lt. Colonel (Retired) Michael Behm, Nebraska State Patrol.
- Past President's Award: Investigator Andy Backman, S. Sioux City PD.
- President’s Award: Angela Morehouse, Lincoln Police Department.
- Nebraska Law Enforcement Memorial Committee: Bill Larsen indicated that the ceremony should be May, 11, 2015.
- Telemarketing: President Jackson reported that there have been no new developments. The future of telemarketing does not look good.
- Investment strategies: President Jackson indicated that several proposals were received. All were fee based and there were no guarantees on returns. Discussion occurred regarding the proposals. Rich Hoaglund made the following motion: To invest up to $290,000.00 through Dennis Duckworth based upon an investment strategy from the Board. Andy Backman provided a second. Motion was approved by voice vote, one against. Dennis Duckworth will be invited to the January, 2015 Board Meeting.
- NCJIS Discussion Group: President Jackson reported that a discussion group will be activating later this week. Any Commissioned Law Enforcement Officer would be able to participate. Will demonstrate the site during the Annual Business Meeting.
- Social Media: President Jackson reported that Angela Morehouse had created a POAN Facebook page. Discussion occurred regarding the page and demonstrating it during the Annual Business meeting for input from Membership.
- QuickBooks: Michelle Raphael has requested to upgrade current version of QuickBooks. Shane Wimer made a motion to approve up to $300.00 to upgrade the software. Ike Brown provided a second. Motion was approved by voice vote.
- Sponsorships/Advertising: President Jackson brought forward this item for discussion as a potential revenue source.
- Financial Issues: Jim Peschong indicated that without a revenue source, that we have more money going out than coming in. Discussion occurred regarding some potential alternatives.
President Jackson asked for any other new business, or anything else for the good of the order. Nothing else was presented.
The Annual Business Meeting will be October 7 and the next Board Meeting will be on October 8, 2014.
Shane Wimer made motion to adjourn. Rich Hoaglund provided a second. Motion was approved by voice vote.
Meeting was adjourned at 1825 hours.
William H. Larsen
© 2010 Police Officers' Association of Nebraska.
All Rights Reserved.