POLICE OFFICER'S ASSOCIATION OF NEBRASKA
BOARD OF DIRECTORS MEETING
NEBRASKA LAW ENFORCEMENT TRAINING CENTER
GRAND ISLAND, NEBRASKA
JULY 24, 2013
MEMBERS IN ATTENDANCE: Andy Backman, Brian Jackson, Kim Christensen, Herb Evers, Rich Hoaglund, Mark Hogue, Bruce Felty and Bill Larsen.
MEMBERS ABSENT: Jim Peschong, Kurt Bottorff, Shane Wimer and Ike Brown.
INVITED GUESTS: None
President Backman called the meeting to order at 1100 hours.
MINUTES: Minutes from the April 26, 2013 were presented. Herb Evers made a motion to approve the minutes from the two meetings. Mark Hogue provided a second. Motion was approved by voice vote.
TREASURER’S REPORT: Treasurer’s report was presented. Brian Jackson made a motion to accept the treasurer’s report. Rich Hoaglund provided a second. Motion was approved by voice vote.
- Xentel contract has been signed. They were inquiring about bank account information.
- Dues increase was discussed. Has not been a problem.
- Request for posting positions—some requests have been received to post job openings on our website. Discussion occurred resulting in a decision to post any Law Enforcement position brought to our attention and to monitor the posting to keep it timely.
- President’s Handgun –Bill Larsen brought up for discussion the purchase of a handgun for the Past President. Discussion resulted in the following motion by Brian Jackson: to place a$1000.00 cap on the purchase of a handgun for the Past President. Rich Hoaglund provided a second. Motion was approved by voice vote.
- VALOR—Discussion was held about trying to bring the VALOR training into Nebraska. Bill Larsen will pursue this with representatives of the Institute for Intergovernmental Research (IIR).
- 2013 Conference—President Backman indicated the Conference planning is almost finalized. He did indicate that the two Presidents have decided not to have a weapon giveaway during the Awards Banquet. The next Conference Planning meeting will be August 14.
- Donations: Discussion occurred regarding prior Board decision on annual donations which would not need to be approved each year. With reduction in income from fundraising Brian Jackson made a motion to rescind prior Board action regarding automatic approval of some donations and return to an annual review. Mark Hogue provided a second. Motion was approved by voice vote. A recommendation was made that a letter be sent to the respective organizations indicating that POAN would no longer make donations without receiving a request. This lead to the following motions: *Brian Jackson made a motion to donate $700.00 to the Nebraska Coalition for Victims of Crime, unless the donation has already been made. Mark Hogue provided a second. Motion was approved by voice vote. * Rich Hoaglund made a motion to eliminate the $500.00 donation to COPS if not already been paid for 2012-2013. Herb Evers provided a second. Motion was approved by voice vote. *Brian Jackson made a motion to donate $5,000.00 to Special Olympics Torch Run, unless it has already been paid for 2012-2013. Mark Hogue provided a second. Motion was approved by voice vote. Further discussion regarding donation to Make-A-Wish was to discontinue unless already paid for 2012-2013.
- Tax Revision Committee—request was received to send a letter the chair of the subcommittee, President Backman indicated that has been done.
- K-9 training requirements—discussion occurred regarding upcoming efforts to require all K-9’s to be certified through the Nebraska State Patrol and that only NSP certified dogs could be used in Nebraska.
- Bruce Felty indicated he would be unable to attend this year’s Conference and that someone should be found to take photographs during this year’s Conference.
- Awards Committee—Rich Hoaglund said nominations for the awards have closed and his committee would be making their selections in the near future.
President Backman asked for any other business, or anything else for the good of the order. Nothing was presented.
Mark Hogue made a motion to adjourn. Rich Hoaglund provided a second. Motion was approved by voice vote.
Meeting adjourned at 1210.
ADDENDEUM: After the Board meeting concluded a request for funds from POAN was received which resulted in the following motion: On August 6. 2013 Herb Evers made a motion (electronically) to donate $1,000.00 to the US Attorney’s Protect Our Children Conference. On August 7, Jim Peschong provided a second. Between the motion being made on and then seconded on August 7 and August 12 votes were received from all Board members electronically approving the motion.
William H. Larsen
© 2010 Police Officers' Association of Nebraska.
All Rights Reserved.