Police Officers' Association of Nebraska
A contributing member of the Law Enforcement Community since 1953.
POLICE OFFICER'S ASSOCIATION OF NEBRASKA
BOARD OF DIRECTORS MEETING
NEBRASKA LAW ENFORCEMENT TRAINING CENTER
JULY 21, 2005
MEMBERS PRESENT: Andrea Towler, Mike Swain, Rick Carmichael, Jim Peschong, Bruce Felty, Kim Christensen, Kurt Bottorff, Ron Fisher, Andy Backman, Ed Burmood and Bill Larsen.
MEMBERS ABSENT: None.
President Towler called the meeting to order at 1255 hours.
MINUTES: Minutes from the April 14, 2005 meeting were reviewed. Bruce Felty's name was added as being present at the meeting. Jim Peschong made a motion to approve the minutes as amended and a second was provided by Bruce Felty. Motion was approved by voice vote.
TREASURER'S REPORT: Treasurer's report was presented. Rick Carmichael made a motion to accept the report. Mike Swain provided a second. Motion was approved by voice vote.
CORRESPONDENCE: Nothing was presented.
1. Legislative— Nothing new as Legislature is not in session.
2. Midwest Response—Discussion occurred regarding the script being used. Mike Day had indicated that they did not think the changes suggested would facilitate fund raising. It was suggested to allow him to meet with his supervisory staff and develop a more professionally sounding script. Mike also requested a letter of support to the FCC requesting to continue the non-profit exemption for telemarketing.
3. Essay Contest—No new information.
4. State Fair—Ron Fisher reports things are progressing. He reported that there would be a wireless internet connection available this year. He indicated POAN needed to make a $250.00 contribution for the bicycle drawing at the Fair. He also requested money for handout items. Jim Peschong made a motion to approve up to $3,000.00 for that purpose. Rick Carmichael provided a second. Motion was approved by voice vote.
5. Bylaws—Nothing new to report.
A. Photos can be posted. See photos of recent graduating classes.
B. A question was posed regarding the number of hits on the website and whether this could be tracked. This will be looked into.
C. A question has arisen regarding an e-mail distribution list. This is also being explored.
7. 2005 Conference—President Towler reports that planning is progressing. Discussion occurred about getting photos posted on the website since there would not be a magazine.
8. Membership—Jim Peschong reported that the last basic academy class from the Lincoln Police Department were offered the free membership and approximately 50% filled out applications. Discussion also occurred about providing POAN Handbooks to these graduates. It was decided to revisit this in a year to better evaluate.
9. Awards—Rick Carmichael reported that nominations have been received for Officer of the Year and Hall of Fame. These will be presented at the Annual Conference.
1. Retirement bill meeting. Andy presented information from the meeting in Sidney . Discussion occurred about a request from the FOP for assistance in paying for an actuarial study to be completed before the next legislative session. The estimated cost of this was projected to be from $25,000.00 to $50,000.00. Kurt Bottorff made a motion to approve paying one-third of the cost of the study. With a maximum of $15,000.00 from POAN. Kim Christensen provided a second. Motion was approved by voice vote.
1. 2006 Annual Conference—Mike Swain reported that the 2006 Conference will be in North Platte , Nebraska at the Sandhills Convention Center from September 24-27, 2006 . He also indicated that room rates of $61.00 for a single and $87.00 for a two room suite.
President Towler reported that the next meeting would be at 1500 hours on October 30, 2005 at the Holiday Inn Midtown, Grand Island , Nebraska .
President Towler asked for any other business, or anything else for the good of the order. Nothing was presented.
Bruce Felty made a motion to adjourn and Kurt Bottorff provided a second. Motion was approved by voice vote.
Meeting was adjourned at 1420 hours.
Sgt. William H. Larsen