Nebraska Law Enforcement
Police Officers' Association of Nebraska 
A contributing member of the Law Enforcement Community since 1953.
Police Officers' Association of Nebraska




April 19, 2007

MEMBERS PRESENT: Mike Swain, Rick Carmichael, Kurt Bottorff, Bruce Felty, Ike Brown, Jim Peschong, Andy Backman, Don Dreyer, Andrea Towler and Bill Larsen.


MEMBERS ABSENT: Kim Christensen.

President Carmichael called the meeting to order at 1045 hours.

MINUTES: Minutes from the January 25, 2007 were presented. A couple of spelling changes were made. Andrea Towler made a motion to approve the minutes. Ike Brown provided a second. Motion was approved by voice vote.

TREASURER'S REPORT: Treasurer's report was presented. Discussion occurred regarding the need for the clipping service. Kurt Bottorff made a motion to accept the Treasurer's report. Andrea Towler provided a second. Motion was approved by voice vote.


1. Midwest Response/Xentel—Jim Peschong indicated there was nothing new to report.

2. Retirement Bill—Andy Backman reported that LB 370 was out of Committee. This bill was dealing with an actuarial study of a retirement plan. Ike Brown reported that the League of Municipalities has indicated that they agreed a change was needed in current plans. He indicated that they were opposed to a defined benefit plan, but were supportive of a defined contribution plan.

3. Legislative Updates—Jim Peschong reported on the following bills:

LB255—signed by the Governor, Regarding payouts of

Unused leave, would not be retroactive.

LB497—Family Military Leave Act. Signed by the Governor.

Allows for 30 day unpaid leave for Spouse/parents.

LB474—Police discipline, would make records public.

LB335—72 hour hold for Detox. Was only used three times in the last six months, appears to be dying.

LB179—Electronic Recordings, has moved out of Committee.

4. NLEM—Bill Larsen reported that not much movement has occurred. Final plans have been approved for the site in Grand Island , but are waiting final approval from the Grand Island authorities.

5. State Fair—Rick Carmichael reported that Kim Christianson indicated that meetings have been ongoing and he has ordered some items. The Board did approve an additional $500.00 to use for items.

6. POAN Handbooks:

A. Ike Brown reported they had made an electronic conversion to a CD.

B. A criminal law clerk working at the Attorney General's

office has indicated an interest in working on revisions.

C. Printing—a question was raised regarding copyright issues.

since the meeting several sources were contacted and there

do not appear to be any copyright issues with the printer contracted to print the handbooks.



1. Essay Contest—Andrea Towler presented the top essays from each region for the Board to review and select the Grand Prize Winner. The following are the results of the Essay Contest:

Grand Prize Winner: $500.00

Alison Kampe, St. Pius X, Omaha , NE

Region #1: First Place : $300.00

Kirk A. Lundbery, Ogallala MS, Ogallala , NE

Second Place: $200.00

Sara Rose Westling, St. Patricks Jr. High, North Platte , NE

Third Place : $100.00

Taylor Hoeft, St. Patricks Jr. High. North Platte , NE

Region #2:

First Place : $300.00

Alicia Miller, Emmannuel-Faith Lutheran School , York , NE

Second Place: $200.00

Kaitlin Johansen, Hastings Jr. HS, Hastings , NE

Third Place : $100.00

Hannah Jelden, Wilcox-Hildreth M.S., Hildreth , NE

Region #3:

First Place : $300.00

Alicia Johnson, Fremont Bergan, Fremont , NE

Second Place: $200.00

Kortney Claasen, Fremont Bergan, Fremont , NE

Third Place : $100.00

Isaiah Bockelman, Lincoln Luthern, Lincoln , NE

Region #4:

First Place : $300.00

Anna Salzmann, Trinity Christian School , Omaha , NE

Second Place: $200.00

Brandon Cooper, Russell Middle School , Omaha , NE

Third Place : $100.00

Stacey Dale, Douglas County West M.S., Waterloo , NE


2. Fall Conference—Rick Carmichael reported that plans are ongoing, with a meeting scheduled for next week.

3. Awards—Don Dreyer indicated that the names send responses need changed on the forms and they will be distributed.

4. Nebraska Coalition for Victims of Crime have invited POAN to receive recognition for their help at a luncheon on April 25, 2007 at the Governor's Mansion. Bill, or Jim, will represent POAN.

5. Membership—Bill Larsen brought the membership fees at the request of Michelle Raphael so she can proceed with getting membership forms printed. The decision was made to leave the fees the same as currently established.

6. Website—Bruce Felty brought up some items which need to be updated on the website:

A. Minutes—the last minutes posted were from 9-27-06 . The minutes from the January meeting were not approved until this meeting, and will be posted after the meeting.

B. Awards—Need to update the entry forms to correctly reflect the contact person.

C. Essay Contest Winners—will be posted after the awards have been presented.

D. Membership/Conference location.

E. Press Room/Legislation—Need to get POAN's stance posted.

F. Basic Class photos—Dave Harnly has been the most recent contact and was contacted. He indicated he would work at getting the most recent class photos and work to keep more current.


President Carmichael discussed dates for the next meeting, July 19, was selected. He will advise once a time is scheduled.


President Carmichael asked for any other new business, or anything else for the good of the order. Nothing was presented.


Andy Backman made a motion to adjourn. Ike Brown provided a second. Motion was approved by voice vote.


Meeting was adjourned at 1345 hours.

Respectfully submitted,

William H. Larsen



© 2010 Police Officers' Association of Nebraska. All Rights Reserved.