Police Officers' Association of Nebraska
A contributing member of the Law Enforcement Community since 1953.
POLICE OFFICER'S ASSOCIATION OF NEBRASKA
BOARD OF DIRECTORS MEETING
LINCOLN POLICE DEPARTMENT CONFERENCE ROOM
LINCOLN , NEBRASKA
April 3, 2008
MEMBERS PRESENT: Kurt Bottorff, Rick Carmichael, Bruce Felty, Ike Brown, Jim Peschong, Andy Backman, Don Dreyer, Kim Christensen, Jeff Elliott, Andrea Towler and Bill Larsen.
MEMBERS ABSENT: None.
INVITED GUEST: Trent Nowakia
President Bottorff called the meeting to order at 1230 hours.
MINUTES: Minutes from the January 3 and January 24, 2008 meetings were presented. Andrea Towler made a motion to approve the minutes. Rick Carmichael provided a second. Motion was approved by voice vote.
TREASURER'S REPORT: Treasurer's report was presented. Rick Carmichael made a motion to accept the report. Ike Brown provided a second. Motion was approved by voice vote.
COMMITTEE REPORTS: Nothing was presented.
CORRESPONDENCE: Correspondence was received from the following:
1. Wymore High School parents: requesting funds for a Post Prom gathering.
2. NLETC regarding Dave Anderson Retirement.
3. Abbot Scholarship request.
4. Vern Barrett, candidate for State Legislature request for support.
Nothing was done on any of the above items except President Bottorff responding to the letters.
1. Retirement: Don Dreyer, Kim Christensen, Andy Backman and Jim Peschong. Lobbyist Trent Nowakia reported what has been occurring in the Legislature. It does not appear anything is going to get passed. It appears that a task force will be formed to work on this issue. It appears that the Legislature will have an interim study group to look at issues which have been identified. Various groups will need to be contacted to see what concerns may exist and what may be needed to resolve the. POAN's representatives on the Task Force will be Don Dreyer, Kim Christensen and Jim Peschong.
2. Awards: Jim Peschong reported that there is nothing to report at this time. He will be seeking nominations in the near future.
3. Essay Contest: Andrea Towler. See attachment regarding award winners.
4. Membership: Jim Peschong. Letters have been sent to agencies around the State. Several new memberships have been received.
5. A/G's Virginia Tech and Amish School shootings. Members talked about the one day workshop.
6. Conference Update: President Bottorff. There was nothing new to report, except that planning is progressing.
7. NLEM: Bill Larsen. The only thing new to report was that a ground breaking ceremony has tentatively been scheduled for May 16, 2008 at the site of the Memorial.
1. POAN Membership/Death Benefit: President Bottorff and Bill Larsen. A request for a death benefit was received for a person who had been a member from 1969-2006. An area of concern was found that membership renewal information is only mailed to current members at the address they had the last time they paid dues. There appear to be some issues when a member has a change in address between those mailings and information does not get forwarded to them, in some cases the changes because of health issues. Discussion resulted in a decision to continuing to mail renewal information for a three year period after their last renewal.
2. Grand Island PD/Hall County SO office dedication. Don Dreyer and Bill Larsen represented POAN at this ceremony.
3. Nebraska Coalition for Victims of Crime: Jim Peschong represented POAN at recognition for POAN's contributions.
4. Laptop for Nebraska Sheriff's Association: President Bottorff. A request was received from President Becker for assistance in purchasing a laptop for Annette to use for Conference related matters. Discussion resulted with a recommendation to offer use of POAN's laptop, as Michelle always has it at the Conference.
5. Contribution: Jim Peschong reported on a contribution which was received from a donor who put the wrong check in the mail. This was able to get returned and resolved.
7. Fundraising: Jim Peschong reported that some inquiries have been received from some media sources. He will draft a letter to send to media outlets in the State regarding our fundraising.
8. LECC Awards: Andrea Towler will represent POAN at the Awards ceremony during LECC.
9. State Fair relocation to Grand Island . Not much to report on as of this time.
Discussion occurred regarding the next Board meeting President Bottorff will check and advise of date, time and location.
President Bottorff asked for any other business, or anything for the good of the order. Nothing was presented.
Rick Carmichael made a motion to adjourn. Andrea Towler provided a Second. Motion was approved by voice vote.
Meeting was adjourned at 1455.
William H. Larsen