Police Officers' Association of Nebraska
A contributing member of the Law Enforcement Community since 1953.
POLICE OFFICERS ASSOCIATION OF NEBRASKA
BOARD OF DIRECTOR'S MEETING
HOLIDAY INN CONVENTI0N CENTER
KEARNEY , NEBRASKA
OCTOBER 28, 2007
MEMBERS PRESENT: Mike Swain, Rick Carmichael, Kurt Bottorff, Bruce Felty, Ike Brown, Jim Peschong, Andy Backman, Don Dreyer, Kim Christensen, Andrea Towler and Bill Larsen.
MEMBERS ABSENT: None.
INVITED GUEST: Melanie Bailey.
President Carmichael called the meeting to order at 1712.
MINUTES: Minutes from the July 19, 2007 meeting were presented. Spelling of Kim Christensen's name was corrected. Andrea Towler made a motion to approve the minutes as corrected. Ike Brown provided a second. Motion was approved by voice vote.
TREASURER'S REPORT: Treasurer's report was presented. Jim Peschong made a motion to accept the Treasurer's report. Andrea Towler provided a second. Motion was approved by voice vote.
1. Retirement Bill: Kim Christensen and Andy Backman reported that the contract for the actuarial study was signed and it is supposed to be completed by the first week in December. It is anticipated that a Legislative hearing will be scheduled for around the 14-15 of December. Information was also provided that the League of Municipalities has expressed an interest in moving forward on a retirement bill.
2. State Fair: Kim Christensen reported that there had been some reorganization of the law enforcement areas, but it seemed to work well.
3. Handbooks: Bill Larsen reported that the updates have been completed and currently available. Discussion occurred regarding making the Handbook available on CD and posted on the website.
4. Midwest Response: Jim Peschong reported that there was nothing new to report.
5. Nebraska Law Enforcement Memorial: Bill Larsen reported that the most recent information indicates that agreements have been completed with the City of Grand Island and that the President of the Memorial Board was preparing to sign contracts to initiate the ground work and proceed with construction as weather permits.
6. Conference: President Carmichael reported that all planning has been completed.
A. Awards Committee: Don Dreyer reported the following information regarding recipients:
1) Hall of Fame: Sgt. Ronald Gardner, Hastings PD.
2) Officer of the Year: Inv. Stewart Matchwick,
Other awards presented were:
3) President's Award: Bill Larsen, Lincoln PD.
4) Past President's Award: Mike Swain, North Platte
B. Essay Contest: Andrea Towler reported that the Grand Prize winner would be attending to present her essay at the Awards Banquet.
C. Elections: The following positions would be up for election during the Annual Business meeting:
Second Vice and President
Two three year Board Positions.
D. Website: Bill Larsen reported that Board members need to update their information for the website, along with the new President to get his message posted.
1. Melanie Bailey:Melanie was contracted with by the Conference Committee to arrange vendors for the Conference. She reported that she had contracted with approximately 63 vendors, which is about double of the vendors who were in attendance last year.
2. Administrative Assistant: Discussion occurred regarding Michelle Raphael's performance over the past year. All comments were very positive. Discussion regarding increasing her wages resulted in a motion by Kurt Bottorff to increase her wages by $50.00 per month. Andy Backman provided a second. Motion was approved by voice vote.
Discussion occurred regarding the Board Meeting on Wednesday, 10-31, with the decision to meet at 0700.
President Carmichael asked if anyone had any other business, or anything for the good of the order. Nothing was presented.
Jim Peschong made a motion to adjourn. Andrea Towler provided a second.
Meeting was adjourned at 1815.
William H. Larsen